Wednesday, May 12, 2010

"Love Them & Leave Them" by Nicola Collins

Calling all Los Angelenos:  An exciting new photo exhibition is coming to Downtown L.A. from 16-29 May, 2010...

 

..."Love Them & Leave Them" by Nicola Collins (The End, Duckin and Divin Production), is an assemblage of decadent, sexy, urban images of sofas ditched in the streets of la la land, showcasing a "snapshot of modern America that captures the themes of love and desertion."

VIRGINIA

MCCOLLUM

CATTARAUGUS

GOWER

LA MIRADA

I was deeply moved by Nic's latest work.  I felt some serious energy from across the Pacific!  All I can say is, I'm feelin' Nic's message:  Beauty & Life Resurrected.  I had to leave it (buon giorno, Italia!) for me to fall in love with LA and realize what the city had to offer all over again.  I know, I know...my version sounds more like "love it/leave it/love it."
But this is the whole vibe that touched my heart...Nic brought the beauty out of the beast and gave them life again by rather successfully capturing the essence of soul.  Well thankfully, she was kind enough to share the love and allow me to capture a bit of hers...

What sparked it in you to redeem the beauty out of these derelict pieces of furniture?
I don't know what it is about me but I always see the beauty in decay.  It shows that there has been life there and tells me a story.  There was a sadness about these sofas that I couldn't ignore.

I was touched by the theme of  "love and desertion" encompassing your photo series. What do you hope your audience will take from your works?
I am always happier to let people take what they want from my work.  I never spoon-feed the audience in anything that I do; there is always room for thought.  It's a very emotional show for me but I am sure some people will just see it as a bunch of photographs of trash.

You've made a natural progression from film to photography, what inspired you to do so?
I started photography at 14 years old, my father bought me a camera and from that moment I have never put it down, I feel the most comfortable and confident behind a camera.  My progression into film was very natural, I have always loved film; when girls at school idolized the latest band, my idol was Akira Kurosawa; there is a little piece of inspiration from him in everything that I do.  His work is more than art, it's a life lesson.

***
CHILL WITH NIC AND HER TWIN SIS, TEENA + MINGLE WITH FELLOW ART ENTHUSIASTS AT THE OPENING RECEPTION THIS SATURDAY EVENING AT 
R&R GALLERY.


No comments: